A clean, well-lighted
Two waiters sitting near the door of a cafe. E 'late at night, and only an old man, sordo e già parecchio sbronzo, si attarda, seduto ad un tavolino fuori dal locale.
Cameriere 2 – La settimana scorsa ha tentato di suicidarsi.
Cameriere 1 – Perché?
Cameriere 2 – Era disperato.
Cameriere 1 – Per cosa?
Cameriere 2 – Niente.
Cameriere 1 – Come sai che non era niente?
Cameriere 2 – Ha un mucchio di quattrini.
Pausa.
Cameriere 1 – Si farà pizzicare dalle guardie.
Cameriere 2 – Cosa importa se ottiene ciò che vuole?
Cameriere 1 – Faceva meglio a togliersi dalla strada. La guardia lo pescherà. Sono passati cinque minuti fa.
Il vecchio drums with the glass on saucer. The Room 1, the youngest, comes close.
Waiter 1 - What do you want?
Vecchio - Another brandy.
Waiter 1 - You'll be drunk. The old man looks
the waiter, who returns in the coffee.
Waiter 1 - will stay all night. I began to have sleep. I never go to bed before three. He had to kill himself last week.
The waiter took the brandy bottle and another saucer, and serve the old man.
Waiter 1 - had to kill himself last week.
Elder (making signs with his finger) - A little more '. (The waiter content) Thanks.
The waiter comes back from his colleague in the coffee.
Waiter 1 - Now it is drunk.
Room 2 - E 'drunk every night.
Waiter 1 - Because he wanted to kill himself?
Room 2 - How do I know?
Waiter 1 - How did he do?
Room 2 - He hung himself with a rope.
Waiter 1 - Who cut him down?
Room 2 - His grandson.
Waiter 1 - Why did they do?
Room 2 - Fear for his soul.
Waiter 1 - How much money do you have?
Room 2 - Plenty.
Waiter 1 - will have eighty.
Room 2 - Perhaps a few more.
Waiter 1 - I wish he would go home. I never go to bed before three. And 'that the time to go to bed?
Room 2 - Are you up because he likes it.
Waiter 1 - He is alone. Not me. In bed I have a wife waiting for me.
Room 2 - Once you had too.
Waiter 1 - Now a wife does not do any good.
Waiter 2 - Who knows? With a wife would be better perhaps.
Room 1 - The bay your niece. You said she cut him down.
Room 2 - I know.
Waiter 1 - I would not be so old. The old men are dirty.
Room 2 - Not always. This old man is clean. Without stain to drink. Even now, drunk. Look at him.
Waiter 1 - I do not want to watch it. I wish he would go home. Has no respect for those who must work. Old
(pointing to his glass) - Another brandy.
Room 1 (approaching) - Finished. Tonight's all. Close now.
Vecchio - Another.
Waiter 1 - No. Finished.
The waiter clears the table with a cloth. The old man gets up, slowly counted the saucers, and pay, leaving half a peseta tip. Then walks away with an uncertain step, but with great dignity.
Room 2 - Why did not you let him to stay here to drink? Are not yet half past two.
Room 1 (beginning to prepare to go on) - I want to go to bed.
Waiter 2 - What hour?
Room 1 - for me than for him.
Room 2 - One hour is the same for everyone.
Waiter 1 - Talk to yourself as an old man. It can buy a bottle and drink at home.
Room 2 - This is not the same thing.
Waiter 1 - No, not the same thing.
Pause.
Room 2 - And you? You're not afraid to go home before the usual time?
Waiter 1 - Are you trying to insult me?
Room 2 - No, hombre, only to tell a joke.
Waiter 1 - No. I have confidence. I am full of confidence.
Room 2 - You have youth, confidence, and a job. You have it all.
Waiter 1 - And what do you lack?
Room 2 - Everything but work.
Waiter 1 - You have everything I have.
Room 2 - No. I never had confidence and I am not young.
Waiter 1 - Dai. Stop talking nonsense and locks.
Room 2 - I am of those who like to stay up late at the cafe. With all those who do not want to go to bed. With all those who need a night light.
Waiter 1 - I want to go home and to bed.
Room 2 (dressing) - We're two different races. It is not just a matter of youth and confidence although they are beautiful things. Every night I am reluctant to close because there may be someone who needs the cafe.
Waiter 1 - Hombre, there are bodegas open all night.
Room 2 - do not understand. This coffee is a nice, clean. And 'well lighted. The light is very good, and now there are also shadows of the leaves.
Waiter 1 - Good night.
Room 2 - Good night.
The older waiter continues to slowly close the local, almost continued the conversation to himself. Then turn off the lights and with a slow pace, departs.
Ernest Hemingway
Two waiters sitting near the door of a cafe. E 'late at night, and only an old man, sordo e già parecchio sbronzo, si attarda, seduto ad un tavolino fuori dal locale.
Cameriere 2 – La settimana scorsa ha tentato di suicidarsi.
Cameriere 1 – Perché?
Cameriere 2 – Era disperato.
Cameriere 1 – Per cosa?
Cameriere 2 – Niente.
Cameriere 1 – Come sai che non era niente?
Cameriere 2 – Ha un mucchio di quattrini.
Pausa.
Cameriere 1 – Si farà pizzicare dalle guardie.
Cameriere 2 – Cosa importa se ottiene ciò che vuole?
Cameriere 1 – Faceva meglio a togliersi dalla strada. La guardia lo pescherà. Sono passati cinque minuti fa.
Il vecchio drums with the glass on saucer. The Room 1, the youngest, comes close.
Waiter 1 - What do you want?
Vecchio - Another brandy.
Waiter 1 - You'll be drunk. The old man looks
the waiter, who returns in the coffee.
Waiter 1 - will stay all night. I began to have sleep. I never go to bed before three. He had to kill himself last week.
The waiter took the brandy bottle and another saucer, and serve the old man.
Waiter 1 - had to kill himself last week.
Elder (making signs with his finger) - A little more '. (The waiter content) Thanks.
The waiter comes back from his colleague in the coffee.
Waiter 1 - Now it is drunk.
Room 2 - E 'drunk every night.
Waiter 1 - Because he wanted to kill himself?
Room 2 - How do I know?
Waiter 1 - How did he do?
Room 2 - He hung himself with a rope.
Waiter 1 - Who cut him down?
Room 2 - His grandson.
Waiter 1 - Why did they do?
Room 2 - Fear for his soul.
Waiter 1 - How much money do you have?
Room 2 - Plenty.
Waiter 1 - will have eighty.
Room 2 - Perhaps a few more.
Waiter 1 - I wish he would go home. I never go to bed before three. And 'that the time to go to bed?
Room 2 - Are you up because he likes it.
Waiter 1 - He is alone. Not me. In bed I have a wife waiting for me.
Room 2 - Once you had too.
Waiter 1 - Now a wife does not do any good.
Waiter 2 - Who knows? With a wife would be better perhaps.
Room 1 - The bay your niece. You said she cut him down.
Room 2 - I know.
Waiter 1 - I would not be so old. The old men are dirty.
Room 2 - Not always. This old man is clean. Without stain to drink. Even now, drunk. Look at him.
Waiter 1 - I do not want to watch it. I wish he would go home. Has no respect for those who must work. Old
(pointing to his glass) - Another brandy.
Room 1 (approaching) - Finished. Tonight's all. Close now.
Vecchio - Another.
Waiter 1 - No. Finished.
The waiter clears the table with a cloth. The old man gets up, slowly counted the saucers, and pay, leaving half a peseta tip. Then walks away with an uncertain step, but with great dignity.
Room 2 - Why did not you let him to stay here to drink? Are not yet half past two.
Room 1 (beginning to prepare to go on) - I want to go to bed.
Waiter 2 - What hour?
Room 1 - for me than for him.
Room 2 - One hour is the same for everyone.
Waiter 1 - Talk to yourself as an old man. It can buy a bottle and drink at home.
Room 2 - This is not the same thing.
Waiter 1 - No, not the same thing.
Pause.
Room 2 - And you? You're not afraid to go home before the usual time?
Waiter 1 - Are you trying to insult me?
Room 2 - No, hombre, only to tell a joke.
Waiter 1 - No. I have confidence. I am full of confidence.
Room 2 - You have youth, confidence, and a job. You have it all.
Waiter 1 - And what do you lack?
Room 2 - Everything but work.
Waiter 1 - You have everything I have.
Room 2 - No. I never had confidence and I am not young.
Waiter 1 - Dai. Stop talking nonsense and locks.
Room 2 - I am of those who like to stay up late at the cafe. With all those who do not want to go to bed. With all those who need a night light.
Waiter 1 - I want to go home and to bed.
Room 2 (dressing) - We're two different races. It is not just a matter of youth and confidence although they are beautiful things. Every night I am reluctant to close because there may be someone who needs the cafe.
Waiter 1 - Hombre, there are bodegas open all night.
Room 2 - do not understand. This coffee is a nice, clean. And 'well lighted. The light is very good, and now there are also shadows of the leaves.
Waiter 1 - Good night.
Room 2 - Good night.
The older waiter continues to slowly close the local, almost continued the conversation to himself. Then turn off the lights and with a slow pace, departs.
Ernest Hemingway
0 comments:
Post a Comment